How to Clean a Memory Foam Pillow
Memory foam pillow is made of polyurethane. This material responds to body heat and pressure to conform to the shape of its user. Memory foam pillows are great for people with neck and back problems and do wonderful things for your posture. There are many manufacturers which provide memory foam pillows having different shapes, sizes, and functions. Different pillows have different perks. Now, it may concern many users about how to clean a memory foam pillow. Most of these pillows are antibacterial and hypoallergenic. It does not harbor mold or bacteria, unlike the regular pillows. But it is always a good idea to clean your pillow every now and then.
You have to remember, when you are cleaning memory foam pillows, you have to spot clean it (in most cases). Many of these products are machine washable, but for most of them, you cannot wet clean the whole thing. As mentioned earlier, it does not harbor bacteria or molds as bad as the regular pillows, so you don’t need to worry about germs.
There are many ways to clean your memory foam pillow. If you just want to freshen up your pillow, follow these simple steps
- Sprinkle baking soda: Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on your memory foam pillow. This will help to eliminate any unpleasant odors from the pillow. It will also help to dry out any bodily fluid (saliva, sweat). Keep it on for 5-7 minutes.
- Vacuum the baking soda off: After keeping the baking soda on for some time, vacuum it off. Obviously, you don’t want to have baking soda on your ears or your face while you sleep.
- Spot cleaning: Mix up some mild dish soap and water in a cup. Then soak a sponge in the mixture. Then gently rub the surface of the pillow with the sponge. This is known as spot cleaning. If you have any odor in your memory foam pillow, you might add vinegar to your soap and water mixture.
- Dry it off: After spot cleaning the memory foam pillow, dry it off using paper towels or a clean hand towel. Place the towel on the pillow and press it down so the water surfaces up. The memory foam will have water inside it. So it is better to leave the towel on the wet pillow overnight so that all the water is dried off. This will ensure that your bed sheets or pillow case don’t get wet when you put them on.
If you just want to get rid of any odor, then you can put your pillow under sunlight for a couple of days. Sunlight will dry out any fluid and also remove any bad odor from your memory foam pillow.
Things to Avoid to Clean a Memory Foam Pillow
Memory foam pillows are very delicate. You should not wash it like regular products. If you do, the pillow might break or lose its contouring properties. Always remember:
- Don’t use traditional stain removers. The delicate material might get damaged from the chemical reaction. Use mild cleaners and warm water.
- Don’t scrub or rub vigorously. For machine washable memory foam pillows, always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturers. Otherwise, the foam might break.
- Don’t soak your pillow in water. Use a minimal amount of liquid. Moisture gets trapped in these pillows very easily. This moisture will make your pillow a production house for mold and bacteria if not dried off properly. It will also release unpleasant odors.
How to Clean General Spills
Though we are not supposed to eat or drink on our bed, we often do. By acting fast, you will be able to save your pillow without a stain.
Grab a clean towel and place it on your pillow. Apply pressure to soak up as much liquid as possible.If you are using paper towels, use as many towels required to blot the liquid out of the pillow.Put the pillow in a place with good air flow. This will get rid of all the moisture from it. The memory foam pillow must be completely dry before putting the pillowcase back on.
How to Remove Surface Stains
Surface stains are most disturbing both visually and physically. Sometimes these stains come with an odor. One might think of getting rid of the pillow rather than the stain. But there is a probable solution.
- Take a container and mix cold water and light soap in it.
- Take a clean cotton towel or a terry towel and soak it in the mixture.
- Make sure to squeeze out the excess water.
- Apply the solution gently. Dab the pillow surface, start from the outer part of the stain and work your way to the middle.
- Repeat the process sparingly until the stain is removed.
- Dry out the pillow completely before putting the pillow case on. To do that, put the memory foam pillow in a place where there is good air flow.
This method does not always have the desired effect. If it does not work just use a clean pillow case.
How to Remove Odor
Baking soda method: If your pillow has a weird smell then you might use baking soda to remove it. Sprinkle some baking soda on the pillow and keep it like that for a couple of days. Remove the excess baking soda by using a vacuum cleaner. Then you can put the pillow in its case.
Sunlight method: Sunlight and warm air can remove odors very effectively. Put the pillow under the sunlight of a day or two and this will remove all the bad odors and give your pillow a crisp new smell.
Memory foam pillows should not get wet. So how will you remove heavy odors of pet urine or other chemicals? Apparently, there are various enzymatic cleaners available which can help to remove these strong odors. Vinegar is also useful in this matter. Manufacturers usually provide instructions about how to use these enzymatic cleaners. You should follow those instructions. You can also use equal parts water and vinegar mix. Just remember not to saturate the pillow, just use enough water to clean the urine stain and remove the odor.
To remove odor and stain using enzymatic cleaners follow the steps
- Put the enzymatic cleaner in a bottle. Attach a sprayer on the top
- Spray the memory foam pillow lightly and keep it on for five minutes
- Use clean towel to dry off the area. Keep using the towel until the pillow surface feels dry.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the area. Leave it on for a night.
- Vacuum the baking soda before putting on the pillow case.
- Put the pillow in a room with good air flow or use a fan to dry off any remaining cleaner or vinegar. You can re assure the removal of odor by putting it under sunlight for a couple of days.
Prevention is better than cure. Use a waterproof pillow case to keep your memory foam pillows from staining. This will protect your pillow from spills and body oils. Tuck it away in a wardrobe during the day, to keep it away from pets.